Circuit City to liquidate V2

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Sun Jan 18 19:34:45 CST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Metavox LLC wrote:

> Anyhow, I just *happened* to be in the neighborhood of my local
> Circuit
> City and it just seemed a good idea to drop by and see if I were wrong
> and bargains were awaiting us all.

I just read through their company history.  I had no idea there was a
Circuit City and Lafayette Electronics connection.  Seems the Circuit
City people bought out Lafayette years ago.  Smaller Circuit City
operations operating under different names were all closed in favor of
the big box mentality.

What hurt Circuit City the most though was their "To hell with the
customer, and lets maximize shareholder profits" mentality.  Circuit
City used to employ highly trained people that actually knew about the
stereo and TV equipment.  Those well-paid employees were let go in
favor of the $8.00 an hour high school nerd.  Obviously, a career path
job disappeared with those firings as well, so the high school kid
that could care less had no customer relationship training, and
shoppers started going elsewhere.

Circuit City used to offer real service to its customers.  Now
everything is turning into a Wal-Mart operation.

In regards to a past post where kids aren't taking up engineering....
While you may not have needed an engineering degree to work at circuit
city, its necessity is certainly further removed with the Wal-Mart and
McDonalds operations.

Times are getting interesting.  I used to think as an electronics tech
that there'd always be a job at my beckoning. That's no longer the
case either.  My company is starting layoffs.  I'm not in the queue,
but that's not to say it won't happen six months or a year from now.

Joe, N6DGY