==> JOHN SCOTT REDD, K0DQ, AWARDED NATION'S TOP INTELLIGENCE AWARD

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 31 12:42:03 CST 2009

He was also instrumental at getting the Academy Amateur Radio
club a complete new suite of equipment and antennas in the
1960's including 3 big bertha antenna towers (recently removed
for a new atheltic building).  Now we are holding on by our
nails.
Bob, WB4APR

National
> Security Medal in a White House ceremony earlier this month.
In one of
> his last official duties as President of the United States,
George W.
> Bush recognized Redd for "his more than 40 years of
> exceptional service
> to the Nation, strengthening its intelligence capabilities
> and improving
> national security," and called Redd "an innovator, a
> strategic thinker,
> an inspirational leader and a dedicated servant to the
> Nation, respected
> for his vision, courage and integrity." During his remarks,
the
> President also thanked Redd's wife Donna for her service over
many
> years. The Redds' daughter and sons also attended the White
House
> ceremony.
>
> The National Security Medal is America's highest intelligence
> award. It
> is awarded to any citizen of the United States with
distinguished
> achievements or outstanding contributions, on or after 26
> July 1947, in
> the field of intelligence relating to the national security of
the
> United States of America. Previous recipients of the National
Security
> Medal include Bill Donovan, founder of the Office of
> Strategic Services
> (OSS); J. Edgar Hoover, former FBI Director; Robert Gates, US
> Secretary
> of Defense, and Brent Scowcroft, National Security Advisor to
> Presidents
> Gerald Ford and George H. W. Bush.
>
> In 1995, Redd founded and was named commander of the Navy's
> Fifth Fleet
> <http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/>. The fleet operates in waters
surrounding
> the Middle East and is the only new fleet since World War II.
> He served
> as director of strategic plans and policy on the Joint Chiefs
of Staff
> <http://www.jcs.mil/> from 1996 until he retired from the
> Navy two years
> later. Redd was named Chief Operating Officer of the Coalition
> Provisional Authority <http://www.cpa-iraq.org/> in March
> 2004, but the
> White House recalled him a month later to lead the commission
that
> examined the intelligence failures that led up to the Iraq
war. He
> earlier served as Deputy Administrator and Chief Operating
Officer of
> the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad, for which he
received
> the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Public Service.
>
> In August 2005, Congress confirmed Redd -- a 1966 graduate of
the US
> Naval Academy and a Fulbright Scholar -- as Director of the
National
> Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) <http://www.nctc.gov/>; he
retired in
> November 2007. The NCTC is the nation's repository for
> counterterrorism
> intelligence and sets the nation's war plan for fighting
> terrorists. The
> center has few employees of its own and, instead, brings
together
> approximately 400 analysts and other employees from agencies
> such as the
> CIA, the Homeland Security Department and the FBI to pore over
data
> collected by other agencies. The NCTC houses the nation's
terrorist
> watch list and distributes it throughout the government
nightly. It
> holds video teleconferences three times a day to keep the
White House
> and the intelligence community informed about terrorist
activity and
> counter-terror operations. "We say, 'Mr. President, here's
what the
> intelligence community believes, and here's where agencies
disagree,'"
> Redd said in describing how the NCTC operates. "So now he can
see what
> the disagreement is and why. Because intelligence is not an
arithmetic
> thing, there's a lot of judgment that goes into it."
>
> An active ham, contester and DXer for more almost 50 years,
Redd -- a
> native of Sydney, Iowa -- enjoys both CW and phone. In 1971,
> Redd, then
> K0DQI, won the CQ World Wide DX Contest (phone) from Mexico
> as 6D1AA. He
> also won the ARRL International DX Contest, both phone and CW,
in 1972
> from Mexico as XE1IIJ; this was the first time a single
operator
> surpassed 10,000 contacts in a contest. In 1973, Redd won the
> ARRL Phone
> DX Contest from the DX side (Mexico) as 6J9AA, and in 1986, he
won the
> ARRL CW from the US as W3GRF. All of these wins were as
> Single Operator,
> High Power. Redd went on to place third in his first CQ Worked
All
> Prefix (WPX) (CW) contest in 1995 as A92Q from Bahrain.
Throughout his
> ham radio career, Redd has held many DX call signs: P40Q,
3V8DQ, A92Q,
> XE1IIJ, 4A4AA/1, 6J9AA, 6D1AA, 6G1AA, 6J9AA, 4C5AA and 4C9AA,
just to
> name a few.
>
> In 2008, Redd was inducted into the CQ Amateur Radio Hall of
Fame
> <http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/05/16/10100/>. The CQ
Amateur
> Radio Hall of Fame honors those individuals, whether licensed
hams or
> not, who have made significant contributions to Amateur
> Radio, and those
> amateurs who have made significant contributions either to
Amateur