Verilog Class Lecture 1 (long)

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 31 22:13:54 CST 2009

Terry,

LECTURE
I was going to log into the realtime lecture but life appended and I
missed it.  So I downloaded the files you were kind enough to list.

After that I needed to upgrade the codec package in my Windows Media
Player.  The codec download was too too automated and my Firefox did not
play ball.  I then brought up Internet Explorer and saved the file.
After running the file it still did not work.  So, as always with
Microsoft, I rebooted and then it worked.

The lecture was low key and a good start.  I never felt I was losing the
train of thought or drinking from a 6 inch fire hose and at the end I
could at least look up some of the material and use it.

I sure would like a set of the viewgraphs probably best in Acrobat.  In
the future I am sure I will want to go back and see this first lecture.
  While I know the material is in the books, my mind latches on the
material in the lecture.  We may want to pass this on to the folks
putting on the lectures.

COMPILER
I ordered the Xilinx compiler ISE Design Suite 10.1 DVD.  You can
download it for free but it is huge and the DVD is free but they ask for
$12 for postage and handling.  Not bad for over 6 gigs of files.  See

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm

for the downloads.  This DVD covers Windows, Red Hat and SUSE Linux.

It seemed to install but I have not stressed it yet with anything
serious, in fact nothing even slightly humorous.

BOOKS
Terry recommended the book HDL Programming Fundamentals and Digital
Signal Processing with Field Programmable Gate Arrays.  I picked these
up on eBay for less than $30 apiece.  The third book, FPGA Prototyping
by VHDL Examples, seems to be unavailable at cheapskate prices so I am
still looking but it looks like we are headed to Veralog rather than
VHDL so maybe it is not needed, at least not for $75

CONCLUSION
It looks like this is a way to learn without having to buy a multi
kilobuck software package etc for doing anything.  If I can make it
through the lectures and I still feel comfortable, I will order up the
development board and the "Charleston" front end to see if we can make
it do something useful as an SDR.  I may even order these up earlier if
it looks good.

I will try to build a library of the ISE design suite, the lectures/labs
and the special codec file.  I would like to see several AMRAD members
or just TACOS hangers on join in the lectures so we can interact and
help each other over the hard spots and maybe even come up with some
nifty code for John Schwacke's "Charleston" boards.  Comments please.

Thanks Terry for all your efforts to get us up to speed on all the fun.

Frank K0BRA