Norman Augustine on the future of the US

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Sat Feb 7 09:49:22 CST 2009

I'm sure you see it on a daily basis, Phil.  As a professor, what is
the ratio of foreign born students to British nationals in your
classes?  What is the ratio of foreign to native students that
complete their studies and actually graduate?  Upon graduation, how
many foreign students remain in the UK to apply their newfound wealth
of knowledge to benefit the UK?

Knowing the similarities of the UK and US, the domestic engineering
jobs are rapidly disappearing where a graduate can even find a job in
the science fields.  The jobs that exist are frequently not filled by
Americans or Britons respectively.

Interestingly, despite the horrid economy, my company is still hiring
Ph.D.  mechanical and electrical engineers.  None of our recent Ph.D.
hirings have been American born.

It's alarming to see the disinterest of any of the sciences among our
native population.  Training for a cashier at Wal-Mart or a
'manufacturing job' at McDonalds does not speak well for our future.

Joe, N6DGY