Re Expanding broadband to bail out economies ???

Dave - WB6DHW brainerd at wildblue.net
Fri Feb 27 03:09:22 CST 2009

  I am definatly keeping Wildblue until something better or cheaper
comes along.  They are surprising.  I have had the system go down for
maintance after midnight sometimes.  I call up their 800 number and get
a real American in the USA that actually knows what they are talking about!
  The owner of the local grocery store did start up a wireless 802.11
system.  But, he never came to do a site survey after I filled out the
form.  Plus, his max speed is 512K down for $49.95/mo.  There is hope,
however.   My neighbor(a ham) works for the local cell phone
company(Inland Cellular).  They just put up a new cell tower near
here(until about 8 months ago, cell phones would not work in town).
But, he has been trying to get the high speed internet equipment and the
company says they have not been able to get all the required
approvals.   By the way, on the 5.5 miles of road between here and the
edge of town, there are a total of 10 houses and most don't have computers!
  But, it is a very good ham location.  I am on a ridge 1650' above town
at 2850 feet elevation.  On a clear day I can see 4. states(Oregon,
Washington, Idaho, and Montana) and beautiful scenery plus lack of a lot
of the city regulations and hassles. If I have to wait for 3 cars to go
by when coming out of the grocery store in town, I complain about the
traffic!  Idaho county is 8500 square miles(largest in Idaho) with 14000
people and 1 stoplight (in the county seat of Grangeville)30 miles from
here). Cows out number people and Deer come almost up to the house.

Dave - WB6DHW
<http://wb6dhw.com>