Cell phone extenders

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Thu Mar 19 15:47:06 CDT 2009

I'm looking for a little help regarding cell phone extenders/boosters.

I presently have AT&T, and would like to keep it (due partly to my iPhone
and partly to several relatives having it).  Unfortunately, the AT&T
coverage in my neighborhood is fairly poor.  I can get a signal at a couple
places just outside my house, but I get virtually nothing inside the house.
Occassionally, I can get a signal here in the shack, but it's not reliable
at all.

I've come across several ads for extenders and/or boosters.  The most recent
was in the Tiger Direct catalog.  They cost $200 to $1,000, or so, depending
on type.  I would prefer something that works wirelessly, so both our phones
would be OK in the house.  So, no amplifiers, preamps, or beam antennas
wired directly to the phone.

Has anyone had any experience with these units, and which ones are good and
which are poor.  I don't mind putting a small yagi antenna in the attic, and
putting the "base" near part of the house, such as the shack or the kitchen.
The house is approx 4500 sq.ft, and mostly on one floor, so it sprawls.  I
only need the phones to work in part of the house, however.

Any comments/thoughts?

Thanks.
Terry, WB4JFI