Smart Grid may be Hacked to Generate Blackouts

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 23 09:33:55 CDT 2009

Many AMRAD members will recall our work on LF and the effort to provide
amateurs a small LF band.  In the end, the power companies were opposed
because their unlicensed signaling over the power lines might be
interfered with by amateurs.

Manassas put up a BPL system that caused a lot of interference with the
HF bands and amateur radio.  Now they are looking to use the BPL
infrastructure they built for the city to use for reading meters and
controlling traffic lights.  This suggests they are moving towards some
of the same concepts of the smart grid.

Now we see it reported that the new smart grid technology might be
vulnerable to intentional interference/manipulation that could shut down
the power grid causing a widespread blackout.  In the government's
effort to spend money they are talking about spending $4.5 billion in
smart grid technology.

We could find Amateur Radio once again on the defensive as some would
think interference from amateurs would shut down the grid.  We need to
keep an eye on this technology and hopefully we can get some amateurs on
the decision making boards for this technology.

See http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10201651-83.html?tag=nl.e757

Frank K0BRA