High Voltage

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Tue Mar 24 10:00:18 CDT 2009

Alex - I think it's a good idea to discharge those things, because they
can cause a painful shock.  A good chassis ground on a screwdriver with
a plastic handle is fine.  The plastic insulation is actually redundant
protection, since the blade is grounded to the chassis, but redundant
protection is good.

I would not use a clip lead for this grounding connection, because I
have had too much trouble with clip leads over the years.  I would
somehow clamp a #22 (or some such size) wire directly to the blade, and
to the chassis of the unit, and do it... pry up the rubber insulator
with the grounded screwdriver blade and find where the spring clip goes
in, and touch the metal with the chassis-grounded blade.  Usually the HV
contact metal on the kinescope is gray, and the wire contact is usually
chrome or bright metal.  Touching either one does the job, but make sure
that you get the contact and not some other thing.

There is a good chance that there is no voltage present, so you may not
see any spark.  Discharge it anyway.

   Bob, WA3WDR