ARRL: WHEN VANDALS STRIKE INFRASTRUCTURE, HAMS PROVIDE COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT

Iain McFadyen mcfadyenusa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 18:17:17 CDT 2009

Thursday was a very bad day: I didn't get much sleep at all.

In fact, there was another (allegedly accidental) fibre cut, in downtown MIAMI, on the same day, just around the same time.

This caused me no end of grief down here in Jamaica: We restored all services (not only for Jamaica but for many other Caribbean countries like Dom Rep, Curacao, Trinidad, Grenada, Puerto Rico, Columbia), by rerouting services on other cables, avoiding downtown Miami.

But we continued to get reports of degraded performance on the WorldWide Web. Checked, double-checked and triple-checked my reroutes around the Miami cable cut, only to find out that the degraded performance issues were now being caused by the San Jose fibre cut.

Go figure.

Though its overall importance in the whole scheme of things has dropped since the mid-90s, if there had been any fibre cuts in the Tysons Corner/MAE East area at the same time, there might have been dire consequences.

Iain    KI4HLV/6Y5

==> WHEN VANDALS STRIKE INFRASTRUCTURE, HAMS PROVIDE COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT
Just after midnight on April 9, someone climbed down four manholes in the San Jose, California area and cut underground fiber optic cables.