Carbonyl Iron Powder

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 9 18:37:25 CDT 2009

Tacoistas,

I have had the good fortune to come into the possession of several
pounds of carbonyl iron powder.

This powder is a very very finely divided iron powder and usually the
particles are coated with some compound of iron to act as an insulator
that reduces eddy currents.

In the past I have put this powder into a PVC pipe to make something
similar to a ferrite or powdered iron rod.  These make a nice portable
LF receiving antenna.  I don't think they would do much above a couple
of MHz.

I anyone is interested in trying some of this powder get in touch with
me and I will make some available.

Frank K0BRA