Blank PC Boards for Charleston Receiver

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 27 21:17:46 CDT 2009

Glenn,

I am replying to you and cc:ing to all the others on tacos that may have
missed the activities on the project.  Terry and the group in Charleston
have been doing the heavy lifting down there; thus the name.

Go over to the web site at

http://amrad.org/projects/charleston_sdr/

I had 10 boards made and they came out at $20 each.  The parts for each
board look to be about $67 + shipping at last count.  We had hoped to
get it in at $60 and maybe later.  This board is seriously surface mount
but I have a solder paste stencil to help everyone along.  I still have
some boards if you or anyone else wants to join in the fun.

In addition, you will need to buy a Nexsys2 board from Digilent.  You
can order one at

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,451&Prod=NEXYS2

The basic board at $129 has 500k gates and for $40 more you can get an
"enhanced" version with 1200k gates.  They have a special price for
qualified students but I don't think my 1965 ID will work for this.

Right now I do not know enough to figure out if the larger number of
gates is useful and I have the 500k version for now.  It reminds me of
the days when we used 4k of memory and were happy.

All the software can be downloaded for free so that part of the project
is free and I am looking at making up a data DVD with the essentials.

What you end up with is an 76 megasamples/sec 12 bit front end and
enough software to get from the antenna input to the computer USB port.
   A `4 or 16 bit front end would be more desirable but not at a low cost.

We have a spectrum analyzer program that runs under Windows that can use
the Charleston USB stream.  We also have a set of GNUradio programs you
can run under Linux right now.

There is WINrad that we think can be adapted with minimal effort to act
as a spectrum display and demodulator under Windows but we need to write
the dll to do this.  I am confident we can adapt this and Alberto,
I2PHD, WINrad's author can give us help over any rough spots.  He has
written a guide to go with the source code that should be very helpful.

The attraction of the Charleston project is that with all these gates we
can design FPGA functions to do better than we can do in the computer
alone.

Gate based signal processing was hot in the early 70s but processors
took over.  Now with FPGAs we can slide back to the future and get a lot
more performance with FPGA implementation than with a stored program
processor since the FPGA can execute in a massively parallel form.  We
have the lowest cost approach for experimenters to learn with a hands on
system.

In a nutshell, this is what it is about.

Frank