Iranian AWACS Loss

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 25 14:39:25 CDT 2009

Oh My!  It seems the Iranian AWACS airplane got involved in a mid-air
crash and was destroyed. This must be an important loss for their
military.  I don't think they can make their own.

The following is from DEBKA.

23 Sept. Up above a big military parade in Tehran on Tuesday, Sept. 22,
as Iranian president declared Iran's armed forces would chop off the
hands of any power daring to attack his country, two air force jets
collided in mid-air - one Iran's only airborne warning and control
system (AWACS) for coordinating long-distance aerial operations,
DEBKAfile's military and Iranian sources disclose.
As the soldiers marched past, followed by a line of Shehab-3 missiles
and an air force fly-past, planned to give Ahmadinejad a dazzling
send-off for New York and add steel to his UN Assembly speech, the
AWACS' collided with one of escorting planes, a US-made F-5E. Both
crashed to the ground in flames. All seven crewmen were killed.
The loss of this airborne control system has left Iran's air force and
air and missile defenses without "electronic eyes" for surveillance of
the skies around its borders.