Another SDR UI option

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sun Sep 27 11:25:38 CDT 2009

Douglas Gentges wrote:

> Another option for a user interface would be the Zii (www.ziilabs.com),
> It's a very new platform from Creative,  based around a
> system-on-a-module.
> (http://www.ziilabs.com/products/platforms/welcome.aspx)  It runs both
> Android, and a custom Linux-based kernel.  It looks to be quite a
> capable system, with dual ARM cores, a dedicated DSP engine, DAC/ADC,
> Video I/O, ethernet, usb2.0, ram/rom, etc... all on a SODIMM card
>
> Currently, their only shipping platform with any pricing information
> appears to be the Egg, which is $399, so it's not cheap.  It's also a
> consumer-ready device.
>
> Their hardware evaluation board
> (http://www.ziilabs.com/products/platforms/zms05evm.aspx) looks much
> more interesting, but they don't have much in the way of pricing or
> ordering information on their site.    The eval board has a 4.3 inch
> touchscreen LCD, ethernet, HDMI, 4GB Flash, USB, ATA, SDHC slot, audio
> in/out...
>
> I've e-mailed them for more info on pricing/availability, I'll let you
> all know what I find out.
>
> Doug Gentges
>

> On Sep 26, 2009, at 2:07 PM, Terry Fox wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about the Sony PSP as another alternative for small SDR
>> user interface.  It appears to have Linux ported to it.  Does it have
>> proper I/O capabilities?  I would guess that the graphics and use
>> input devices are adequate.  How about audio input & output?
>>
>> There was interest a while back in porting DttSP and other SDR stuff
>> to the PS3 as well.
>> Terry

> Douglas Gentges
> dgentges at mindspring.com

the newest OMAP processor from TI which is the base of all
the new smartphones has two-issue ARM A8 processor
serious DSP hardware, and interfaces for
two LDCs/OLEDs (including opengl stuff), touchscreens, keyboards, audio,
and all the high-speed I/O required to do the baseband
processing for all  the cellular air interfaces.

there are a couple of people
doing protoboards, one from the TI guys and sold through
Digikey, i believe, or one of the other big jobber houses.
and the board comes running linux.
it's also the basis for some of the Android systems

http://beagleboard.org/

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbusplashcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&contentId=36405

http://www.muru.com/linux/omap/

https://gforge.ti.com/gf/project/omapzoomhome/