HacDC FPGA Workshop

Frank Gentges metavox at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 13:02:57 CDT 2009

Maitland, tacoistas

This looks like something our Charleston people would be interested in.
  It is focused on the Xylinx Spartan 3 and their WEBPack.  That is just
what we are using.  Several Charleston builders mentioned an interest
and need for just this sort of a workshop.

Driving down to DC near 16th street to attend the sessions at 7 PM could
be a real strain for those of us in the far reaches of Northern Virgina.
  I suspect our Nexsys2 boards would be very close to the Xilinx Spartan
3AN development kit they will be using.

I would be glad to make my lab available for our members (or others for
that matter) to come out on Wednesday evenings to cover the course if it
was on line.  We have the AMRAD projector to use.

Alternatively, we might get the videos a couple of days later to view
and discuss and work out amongst ourselves.  I have a broadband
connection so we could view the video and provide everyone Internet
access for their work.

Any chance they would put their video online live?  How about making
them available a day or two later?

I have CC:ed William Gibb that is the workshop instructor.  Bill, feel
free to jump in.  Check out our web site at

http://amrad.org/projects/charleston_sdr/

We have just built 10 receivers and everyone bought a Nexsys2 board.
Digilent provided them to AMRAD at the student price of $99.  I suspect
they would extend this offer to everyone at the HacDC workshop at this
group buy price.  My lab is near Dulles airport off of Rt 7.

Right now, AMRAD builders need to learn how to build the designs for the
FPGA.  AMRAD is willing to help HacDC get the workshops live on line.  I
see how Oct 7th is a short time for doing this.  How can we help?

Frank Gentges K0BRA