ricochet modems

Tad G tad at planetisuzoo.com
Tue Oct 13 20:15:39 CDT 2009

Max speed was in the ISDN range, with internet access in the range of dialup speeds and ptp links around 128k.  The later USB modems I believe could get near or to that speed for internet access as well.  The serial modems could be used ptp without authenticating with the Ricochet network, possibly the USB modems as well but I never owned one.

In my travels I'm seeing more and more of the light-pole transceivers with their power cords hanging free.  It seems as though Dominion isn't keeping all, if any of them around anymore.  Probably converting to BPL :)

Was a neat technology at one point.  We used it as a dialup replacement for internet access as it was cheaper than an ISP account + phone line.

A few years ago someone had reactivated the network in some city, I think it was Denver.  Not sure what happened there other than I suspect it was overtaken by other technologies.

-Tad