Arduino

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Oct 27 07:14:04 CDT 2009

Alberto di Bene <dibene at usa.net> writes:

> And you can program it either in the language that comes with the
> board (a mixture of Java and C), or, using the tools provided by
> Atmel, in straight C or assembler, whichever you prefer.

Wiring (the official name for the usual language people use to program
the Arduino) is actually C++ with preprocessing and nice libraries.
I haven't tried any C++ idioms for fear of getting monster code out of
it (preferring plain C instead), but it's avr-gcc under the hood.

The place where Java comes in is that the IDE itself is written in
Java, which is why you need a JRE on your machine in order to program
the Arduino.

-r