Portable Processor Display and much much more

Sean Sheedy sean at theSheedys.com
Tue Dec 1 12:21:53 CST 2009

Have you looked at the OpenMoko handset?  It's Linux based, has Android
and OpenWRT builds, has open hardware, has wifi, a 640x480 super high
resolution display, USB-host capability, GPS... no jailbreaking required
to get root or run right on the metal.

http://us.direct.openmoko.com/products/neo-freerunner
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner

I have the older Neo 1973 model - looks the same but has no wifi and
does not work as a phone in the US.  I'm interested in a second round of
builds for the Charleston and would not mind loaning the phone to
someone relatively local who wants to evaluate its UI potential.

For $50 more than the phone you can get a Dell netbook and drop Linux on
it, and if forethought was put into it, the UI could be made to work on
both the Dell (or any other Linux laptop/desktop) and the OpenMoko phone.

On the FreeRunner with wifi, a web interface and streaming audio might
allow the radio to be shared on a network.  I don't know if the wifi
module can be placed into access point mode but that could also make
things interesting.

Sean AI4ID