SDR-14 vs SDR-IQ

wb4jfi wb4jfi at knology.net
Sun Jan 17 15:57:16 CST 2010

Mike O'Dell wrote:
> I'm trying to reconcile why the SDR-IQ is so much cheaper
> than the SDR-14
>
> the high-performance ADI parts in both of them are identical -
> the A/D and the digital downconverter
>
> the data delivered across the USB2.0 interface is essentially identical
>
> the -IQ has *more* filters and switching
> the -IQ has *more* computes and digital hardware
>
> as a result it's hard to understand how the BOM cost of the -IQ
> is really any less than the BOM cost of the -14
>
> yet the selling price of the -IQ is *half* of the -14
>
> true, the -14 looks to have a slightly spiffier case,
> and it might have a more stable, less noisy clock part,
> but that doesn't justify a $500 delta in the price
>
> what am i missing in this picture??
>
>     -mo

Mike:
I don't think they are not nearly as similar as you think.  If I
remember, the SDR-14 uses a similar A/D (or maybe the same one), but
then the similarity ends.  The A/D samples are processed differently,
using different DDC chips if I remember.  The SDR-14 can deliver up to a
complete 33MHz bandwidth to the computer, if your computer can drink
that fast.  The SDR-IQ can only deliver 192kHz, if I remember
correctly.  I have an SDR-IQ, but could not afford an SDR-14.

Whether the cost difference is accurate, or some premium is being
charged for the SDR-14 above the hardware differences is up to the
observer.  I can look at both diagrams and give you more details, as the
above is from memory only.

Terry