Gas Pedals are Complicated

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Thu Jan 28 17:21:09 CST 2010

Huh, who needs all this technodgery? The old British Leyland 'B'
series engine was designed with a throttle spring set such that if
the throttle cable snapped, the throttle was physically pulled wide
open. It's sobering how few people thought to turn off the ignition
key when they suddenly found that their throttle pedal had gone slack
and that they were accelerating to maximum speed without control, nor
even disengaging gear before applying the brake. Of course, in those
days, turning off the engine did not lead to a steering lock
preventing steering.

One of many things I like about my Subaru Legacy Outback is the way
that the manual is full of things like, "If the transmission locks up
and the selector refuses to move, lever off cover 'A' with a large
screwdriver, jam the screwdriver into hole 'B' with all your might,
and drive to your dealer within a month or so to get it looked at."
It is full of "yes-it's-failed-but-this'll-get-you-home" options.

Phil M1GWZ