Beware of Internet surfing ?

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 17:18:38 CST 2010

On 3 Feb 2010, at 16:26, bbruhns at erols.com wrote:

> Online activity is definitely a 'lost time' issue for me, and the
> news I find online is very often bad, and very often bogus.
>
> Do others feel the sense of searching for something that isn't
> there?  I often do. But I can still find useful technical info, at
> least.

Yes, but I don't find the experience and outcome that different from
when I had time to wander into a University library occasionally.
When I was very young, my father invested in a full set of
Encyclopaedia Britannica. I would look something up to help me
research a school essay and would end up with a pile of volumes
alongside me three hours later, with essay forgotten. You might say
that there is a difference between EB and the internet, but forty
years later I am now aware that many things I read in those
encyclopaedia volumes is now proven untrue.

I can generally avoid rubbish on the internet faster and more
effectively than I can avoid it on TV.

Phil M1GWZ