IEEE: About Wind Turbines

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sat Feb 6 18:45:40 CST 2010

the problem that happened in California was blatant,
malicious market manipulation, pure and simple.

doing DC interties between smaller networks has
huge advantages - it's easy to make the power flow
the direction you want across a DC intertie, and
it doesn't involve messing with reactive power.

btw - the last great blackout happened because of
insufficient imaginary (ie, reactive) power,
not insufficient real power. essentially the power
factor got sufficiently out of whack that real voltage
couldn't be maintained and that started the cascade.

while speed-of-light-delay on data networks does indeed
matter, the real governing value is actually much slower -
the rate of routing update notifications, but it amounts
to the same thing as synchrony in an AC network. ie,
every part of the network has to know the state of every
other part of the network. in an AC network, that's
speed-of-light-minus-velocity-factor, and in a packet
network, that's certainly no faster than update flooding
rate for link-state protocols. if the state of the network
is changing faster than the news can propagate across the
network, "grave disorder will result". (quote from Dennis
Richie on the malloc()/free() man page) in particular,
it will oscillate, very possibly chaotically as multiple
feedback paths create a mesh of coupled oscillators
(ie, pendulums).

	-mo

--
"Of course it's hard!
If it was easy, we'd be buying it from somebody else!"