"And now for something completely different..."

bbruhns at erols.com bbruhns at erols.com
Tue Feb 16 14:35:49 CST 2010

Complexity is relative.  Ampliphase may have been more efficient than plate modulation, but I don't think that it caught on that much in the USA.  I assume that station owners didn't see enough of an advantage to offset their worries.  They didn't really understand even the simple plate modulation technology, in my opinion, or I think that they would have gone with triode audio power tubes and tetrode or pentode RF power tubes in the conventional class-AB / class C plate-modulated transmitters pretty much from the 30s.  So convincing them to go with some remarkable vector combination  system like Ampli-Phase, as cool as it really was, was a tough sell.  To me, the reduction in overmod spatter, the good efficiency, and the improvement in audio quality, would have made the sale.  No big heavy modulation transformer to blow out, either.  But they were nervous investors.

   Bob, WA3WDR