AM modulation

bbruhns at erols.com bbruhns at erols.com
Tue Feb 16 21:25:34 CST 2010

Grid modulation takes a lot less power than plate modulation, but without applying techniques like Doherty, Terman-Woodyard etc, the efficiency is about the same as straight linear, about 30% carrier for AM.  Screen modulation was (and still is, in some circles) popular, because only the screen voltage needs to be modulated (usually half or less of the plate voltage), and the audio power required is relatively small.  A modulation transformer can be used, but it is usually not necessary, and transformerless coupling of the transmit audio permits high quality sound from a simple transmitter.  But despite that, the sound was usually pretty raunchy!  There were a number of screen modulated AM transmitters on the market back in the day.

Controlled carrier' was popular in many screen modulated designs. The transmit signal was reduced when no audio was present.  It made the meters kick up when the user would speak (a prized characteristic, it seemed to mean you were loud), and the reduced duty cycle was a little easier on the transmit tubes.  But it would have sounded better if the carrier had instead been raised during periods of low or no transmit audio, to maintain approximately constant peak level, because then the receiver agc would have created a noise reduction effect.  In fact this is seen in amateur AM linear operation where the linear amplifier has fast alc, and it can actually sound good.  But instead we got lots of noise between syllables with most of the old controlled-carrier screen modulated rigs, not to mention the atrocious distortion that came from very poor design, so the received signal sounded a lot noisier than it really was.

   Bob, WA3WDR