[digitalradio] A closer look at ROS]]

Tom Azlin N4ZPT n4zpt at cox.net
Thu Feb 25 10:08:45 CST 2010

Looks like that statement simply mirrors what is in Part 97: (8) SS.
Spread-spectrum emissions using bandwidth-expansion modulation emissions
having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; X
as the second symbol; X as the third symbol. Or did the FCC just mirror
the language used by AMRAD in getting the rules changed to allow SS.

Nothing in part 97 about using data independent spreading codes to
reduce power/hz such that only a receiver that knows the spreading code
and can sync up will be able to copy. Also was interesting that on the
AMRAD page one of the issues was whether or not the FCC could geolocate
an SS transmitter. Answer appears to be yes.

Would think that simply expanding the bandwidth with a non-data derived
code to reduce narrow band power density could be argued as different,
i.e. SS, than using the data itself to generate massive error correction
which is then sent out on one or more carriers modulated at 300
symbols/second or less.

Or perhaps much ado over nothing?

73, Tom n4zpt