iPhone Apps: Roll your Own ?

John Teller jsteller at spottydog.us
Tue Mar 9 17:40:52 CST 2010

Actually, I have been developing an iPhone (iPod touch, actually) app
for the past month or so.  I had to buy a Mac Mini as the current
development system isn't supported on their old Power Macs.  Signing up
for the Apple Developer Connection is $99.00 a year - which is not bad
considering that includes the development tools.

I've had a crash course (OJT) in Objective C and really don't understand
why they didn't just use C++.  I suppose it's like Microsoft and C#.
The development environment is actually quite nice, and except for the
fact that the key press sequences I'm used to using in Windows and Linux
are completely different in Mac space, I like it a lot.

For the most part the development is pretty similar to any other GUI
based system.  The one new concept I did learn from this experience is
the Model-View-Controller architecture the whole system is based on.
It's a good system, and does a pretty good job preventing the code from
glomming together like so much of the Windows code I used to work on.

And despite the draconian efforts Apple goes to in order to limit
applications, there are plenty of alternate venues.

---JST