Extracting Hydrogen from water

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 15:24:51 CDT 2010

Close, but not quite there (no slight intended).

All of the energy (work) used to split H2O into H2 and O2 is 'stored'
as potential energy in the isolated gases, ready to be released upon
recombination. Unfortunately, the second law of thermodynamics
demands that some of the energy stored is released as heat, because
the product (a liquid) is less disordered than the reactants (two
gases). Disorder, aka entropy, must increase in both the splitting
process and the recombination process. In the splitting, the disorder
is in the materials - liquid produces gas. In the recombination, the
disorder is created in the surroundings as heat. If we just let all
the energy out as heat to escape throughout the Universe, we can
release the lot. However, if we extract the energy as useful work (we
want an engine, not just an explosion), some has to be released as
heat anyway to the environment. Hence, work out (usable energy) must
be less than work in, in this and all similar situations.

The suggestion of a catalyst is a typical misdirection. A catalyst
cannot improve the inherent efficiency of any process - it can only
increase the rate at which a chemical process occurs. Even so, there
is always a down side. No catalyst remains active forever, and will
eventually need replacing. (It may be possible to regenerate it, but
that will take more energy.) The most-recently announced fuel-cell
cars will have this problem, and with precious metal catalysts,
commonly platinum and/or palladium, replacement will be enormously
expensive. Furthermore, there may not be enough catalyst metals for
every car driver to have one...

Everything costs.

Phil M1GWZ