Extracting Hydrogen from water

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Mon Mar 22 16:17:28 CDT 2010

the original "jetpack" seen in various TV shows used hydrogen peroxide
as fuel (something like 60% or so - *very* strong). if you force H2O2
through a silver mesh, it gets very unhappy, turning into O2 + STEAM
with great vigor. the hot gasses went out the nozzles pointing down
and off you go! (insert "simple matter of programming" snark)

there are also designs that inject some other fuel, like ethanol,
into the dissociation reaction, resulting in

	CO2 + REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT STEAM

do *not* try this at home!

as for how catalysts work, it's about as close to magic as
physical chemistry comes. that's an entire sub-specialty
of chemistry - "catalysts and surface reactions". i know just
enough to know that i don't know squat about it.

	-mo

--
"Of course it's hard!
If it was easy, we'd be buying it from somebody else!"