Toyotas and neutrons

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Wed Mar 24 10:09:13 CDT 2010

Certainly within the realm of failure modes for modern ICs. It's too bad that the writer overstates the problem by who knows how many orders of magnitude.

"Toyota says it is fixing mechanical problems -- floor mats and sticky pedals -- that explain sudden acceleration in 13 models and 5.6 million vehicles."

I read that to indicate that 5.6 million individual cars have been identified with those particular problems, which I sincerely doubt to be the case. With that sort of precision, it's a wonder that anyone knows anything after reading news.

I always wanted to tape a Cs-137 check source on the DIMM of an old machine and see how long it took to fail.

--Bob