Modular Nuclear Plants

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 2 13:18:58 CDT 2010

One of the designs they are looking at now is a variant of the breeder
reactor.  The problem of course, is that it cooks uranium into
plutonium.  We have lots of fuel from the weapons program and don't need
to cook plutonium.  Not a good idea.

Better is to use modern microprocessors distributed around the reactor.
This can avoid the past experience with huge bundles of cables to a
central computer.  Each processor can have enough sensors to be able to
shut the reactor down by the things it has control over.

Several years ago, we looked at the i386 process at Intel.  They had
used a process that made the chip resistant to radiation.  If this were
true then and is true now, it could simplify the shielding and
construction of such a reactor.

Also, one design could be studied and tested to a high level as it would
be reproduced over and over to spread the development costs.

So much for my soapbox.

Frank