iPad, First Look

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Sat Apr 3 12:36:54 CDT 2010

On 3 Apr 2010, at 17:23, Joseph Bento wrote:

> I'm leery of electronic only books.  I'll still take paper in most
> instances.  I'm worried that if some publications begin coming out
> in iBook or Kindle format only, what will one do 10, 20,or 30 years
> down the line?
>
> Joe, N6DGY

I too prefer the traditional pulped-tree format, not least because I
have the decoding software permanently in ROM. Well, as permanently
as any ROM will allow.

I couldn't see the point of e-books and e-readers at all, until
university science textbooks started to appear in that format.
Students can now load all their major textbooks onto one slim reader,
carry them all with them, access additional information on-line, and
add their own footnotes as well. That has got to be a big benefit.

Phil M1GWZ