UK no-fly zone

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 05:52:20 CDT 2010

Hi, fellow Taconians

It's rather strange to be living in an area south-west of London,
less than 30 minutes' drive from Heathrow airport, without the
constant sounds of aircraft flying overhead. It would be hard to put
your finger on what is different if it weren't for the constant
headline news of the volcanic ash coming over from the Icelandic
volcano. It's somewhat reassuring, though, to see nature doing an
infinitely better job of polluting our air than we can with aircraft.

Of course, as an alternative to our recent diet of general election
politics, the media are loving it. There was an amusing exchange on
the TV news the night before last, which I shall paraphrase for the
sake of brevity:

Announcer: Well, the no-fly regulations will persist until at least
7.00 am tomorrow, although some experts are suggesting that, in fact,
they may continue for as long as another 48 hours. We have a senior
meteorologist on the line...

M: Good evening.