Smart Grid Proof?

John Teller jsteller at spottydog.us
Sun May 2 14:20:33 CDT 2010

Well off the top of my head I can think of a few that don't involve AMR:

1. Monitor THD on an MV to LV transformer so you can figure out when the
thing's about to fry before cooling oil starts boiling and it's too
late.  This is a bigger deal in Europe where these things feed 100-200
homes.
2. Watch for faults on MV and LV and notify operation center of the
problem before phone calls start rolling in.  Saves time and with a good
GIS makes service restoration faster.
3. Locate high impedance faults before whatever it is that's causing
them catches fire and really makes life miserable for the locals.
4. Provide Volt/VAR to optimize power transfer during peak AND non-peak
hours.
5. Monitor currents remotely on three-phase feeders to make sure the
system truly is balanced - important if you don't want to install new
lines where you don't have to.

This is the stuff you don't hear about because it's basic and boring,
and doesn't require too much hand waving or a superabundance of Power
Point slides.  Nor should they be paranoia-inducing.

---JST