GPS glitch

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 2 13:31:13 CDT 2010

GPS transmits on two frequencies, one at 1575.42 MHz (L1) and the other
at 1227.60 MHz (L2).

The 1575 MHz signal carries the unencrypted civilian data.

The military uses both L1 and L2 frequencies and can compare position
fixes to apply a propagation differential correction as well as the
anitjam processing.  There are probably other things piggybacking on the
military data stream and I suspect someone added a simple "improvement"
that obviously did not require a full testing program before going on
the air live.

But, somewhere they may have overlooked something and *poof* the
military system did not work.

Frank K0BRA