Ten technologies that should be extinct (but aren't)

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Tue Jul 13 13:05:24 CDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Karl W4KRL wrote:

> CB Radio made the list and there are a number of ham defenders.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38141219/from/toolbar?Gt1=43001

The best analysis I read about the utility of fax machines was by
Nicholas Negroponte some years ago.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~nicholas/Wired/WIRED2-04.html

It was interesting to read how many people seemed concerned about
having a hedge when their traditional infrastructures fail. They might
all be hams. I was a little surprised that amateur radio wasn't on his
list, given all of the people (even hams!) who seem to think the
Internet will be there  for emergency communications no matter what.

The commenters made a good point about how push-to-talk phones are
hardly the many-to-many tool that CB was, but it got me thinking. How
hard would it be to program a MTSO to allow for a dynamically-
generated broadcast group of every handset within its coverage area?
That would be like CB. Of course, unless the carriers could find a way
to charge extra for listening to people ramble, it would probably
never happen.

I know that GSM had the cell broadcast functionality, which popped up
little messages in Europe as I travelled around. Is there an
equivalent in the CDMA/EV-DO world?

--Bob