NRO

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 14 10:34:03 CDT 2010

Doug, tacoistas,

I had a chance to get the Canon FT cameras out on the bench here at the
lab.  Maybe others will want to check their focal plane shutters.

First, take off the lens and open the back.   Then fire the shutter and
watch a good light through the shutter.  I used a fluorescent tube.  The
good camera shows the light all the way across even at 1/1000 sec.

The bad camera shows just a short gap of light at 1/1000 sec.  As I slow
the speed the gap gets larger until at 1/60 the light is seen all the
way across.  I will put this camera aside and use the good one.  One of
the curtains is hanging slightly and will probably need some lubrication
to the mechanism.  It has been on the shelf for some years and I suspect
many other fine SLRs have a similar problem and should be checked.

The mercury cell in that camera is still at 1.4 volts.  As a backup I
will use the article Sandy found at

http://www.acecam.com/photography/5591.html

Sandy is very observant in finding that article about the Olympus.
Thanks Sandy for your reading list.

Dad