Car racing: getting data from the car to the pit?

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Sat Jul 17 09:30:52 CDT 2010

Do a Google search using the terms:  "data acquisition telemetry for race
cars"
A lot has changed since I worked the circle jerk tracks 35 years ago.
Here are a few interesting sites that I quickly pulled from the lot, but
there are many more to be had.

http://www.sracing.com/

http://seniordesign.engr.uidaho.edu/2005_2006/witel/pdf/prop.pdf

http://www.afar.net/   (radio used in racing)

Consider 400 or 900 MHz with a narrow bandwidth and relatively low data
rates.  (not 802.11x 20 MHz BW).  You don't need high bandwidth. A narrow
bandwidth will help mitigate interference and "should" have better range.
Something to think about is the Doppler effect of the car.  Use a radio
system that is in use now.

Jim, KR9U