Loran C off the air

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Aug 8 19:33:15 CDT 2010

I am on two other lists where this has been discussed to death.

On the "broadcast list" there were a lot of comments about some Sun
effects taking out ALL of the GPS satellites.

On another list, heavily populated by pilots, and some smart people,
it is the same.

I think it is the second most bone-head play by Obama, and it saves
VERY LITTLE MONEY!

We had already off-loaded the non US chains to other countries, who
are now paying to maintain them.

The thing is, I used to use LORAN-A and LORAN-C in my car before GPS,
and actually after GPS was started because I was a GPS user when my
"hand held" unit was huge, only displayed Lat-Long, and the only
waypoint was MOB, for Man Over Board.  OH, and it ate EIGHT C-Cells in
TWO HOURS!

There were two major users, the airlines and ships at sea.  Most
airliners removed them years ago, once GPS was approved for in-route
navigation, mostly for weight and panel space reasons.  Of course,
LORAN-C was not nearly as useful, or useable on aircraft as LORAN-A,
with the former being Long-Wave requiring very long antennas, and
LORAN-A being Medium-Wave.

I'm sure there are many on THIS list who know more than I.

--chip