Loran C off the air

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 13:52:10 CDT 2010

Oh, you guys - who could possibly want or need terrorist-prone ground-
based positioning systems when you have government-controlled meteor-
prone GPS satellites? Especially with solar maximum approaching... I
mean, even Finland long ago declared a moratorium on nasty old
nuclear power, a principle that they will stick to, at least until
the lights start going dim in Helsinki.

My friends ask me if I will be sad when the UK abandons medium wave
radio transmissions. Idealistically, yeah - British kids won't be
able to hear much on their crystal sets in future. On the other hand,
realistically, British kids don't build radios nowadays anyway, so
all the more DX for me when we close down our blowtorches.

And don't worry about talking politics - it doesn't concern me at
all, as long as you don't confuse BP with anything British. Of
course, if there have to be cuts, cutting a couple of pointless
international policing operations could save a few dollars for both
countries.

Toodle pip,

Phil M1GWZ