Group Build at the Mason Dixon Hamfest

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Tue Oct 26 10:05:20 CDT 2010

Parallels on MacOS X also does a great job of forwarding USB devices
to VMs. My sister-in-law runs her computer-controlled embroidery machine
from inside Windoze-in-a-VM-baggie just fine.

USB these days is pretty-much completely encapsulated by software APIs.
even USB Class Drivers don't really see hardware except
what's at the end of the "pipes" (a real USB construct).
and since the USB transfers are highly-structured, only
the payload, either async or isochronous, is what matters.
yes, there are commands and responses, but the nature of
USB constrains real-time events to isochronous transfers.

from the standpoint of virtualizability, this is a huge
improvement over the days when pins on a parallel port
were used as GPIOs stroked in real-time by spin-loops
in x86 ASM code. (see "bit-banging serial port")

	-mo