AM Radio Station Musical Chairs

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 1 09:17:36 CDT 2010

We were discussing the changeover of WTNT, 570 to an all sports format
at tacos on Saturday.  Now, another station is taking up some of the
programming they had.  It is getting call letters of WTNT on 730 and
seems to come out of Alexandria VA.  They are running the Laura Ingraham
show right now.

We discussed the technical quality of the station at 570 at tacos which
seemed to be on a computer and human intervention was only on a sporadic
schedule.  For several years, the audio went blank on the last minute of
each hour.  To a radio station, that is a seriously valuable advertising
slot that could be used to make money for the station.  Strangely,
nobody there seems to care.  We will see if the sports format will
encourage human involvement.

Meanwhile, the 730 station is up and running.  They have a minimal web
site right now at

http://www.730wtnt.com/

A pattern for the station seems to be at

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTNT&service=AM&status=L&hours=D

However, this might be something else to treat as a rumor for now.

Frank K0BRA