Making SMD boards - wither paste stencils?

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 15 09:32:29 CST 2010

Mike,

We have used the laser toner transfer with some success.  We found that a specially set up laminating machine was needed to get a reliable transfer of the toner to the PC board.  We used an HP LJ3 but other printers at the time we tried did not deposit enough toner to work.  We could turn the toner density up full bore on the LJ3 and that made that part of it all work.

The resolution was not great and doing little 50 mil pins just would not work.  The toner would squish out in the laminator from the pressure and the lines would start to merge.

We used the special paper we got from Mouser and the backing would loosen up from the toner and just float away.  That worked fine.  We did not need any touch ups.

Our concern after all this is we had made one board and unless we were very careful, later boards were a crap shoot spoiled by some failure along the line.

We now have been using

pcb-pool.com

They are in Ireland and provide reliable quality work.  We do the layout in PCB Free

www.freepcb.com/

and earlier in Eagle with silk screen and solder masks.  Importantly, they provide a free stencil that looks to be stainless steel.  The stencil has become an essential element of making things with PC boards and surface mount now.

Given all the stuff we were buying and time spent with toner transfer, this proved a better approach.  Once you have proved the design from a prototype, they have good pricing on small quantities.  If you generate Gerbers for your prototype, you can get other makers to make boards if you need a quantity of boards.  We did make up a fixture to place the stencil over the board to assure alignment while putting on the solder paste.

We modified a toaster over with a solid state temperature controller so we can follow the solder paste manufacturer's time and temperature curve.  We are getting some real nice looking reflow soldering from this.  The controller uses a thermocouple and an attached notebook computer.  We did pretty good earlier with a "barefoot" toaster oven so the controller just gave us a consistent product.

Our work has led us to using others for the PC board and we no longer try to make our own as it takes too much time and money with marginal results.  If you are doing through hole parts and 0.1 lead spacing you may find the toner transfer still an acceptable approach.

This reply has gotten a bit long but I hope it helps everyone understand what we have evolved through and may save some time and money on their next project.

Frank K0BRA