AM Radio Station Musical Chairs

Chip Fetrow chip at fetrow.org
Thu Nov 4 01:26:03 CDT 2010

I suspect that when Dan Snyder took the talk programming off WTNT (now
WSPZ) 570 kHz, he moved much of it to 730 kHz, now WTNT.  I suspect he
wanted the sports on the more powerful station.

570 is 5 kW day, and 1 kW night.
730 used to have a much better signal, with a two tower directional
with one of the towers at 225 degrees or so, and a 90 degree tower.

For whatever reason, the remaining single tower is 60 degrees, so it
is pretty inefficient.  I don't recall the old power, but it is now 8
kW day, and an astounding 25 Watts night (changes monthly, based on
both local sunset and stations it much protect, which ever provides
less time at day power).

Snyder is a huge sports fan.  His broadcast company, Red Zebra
Broadcasting, owns a few low power FM rim shot stations, and quite a
few AMs.  He tends to run sports, and in days past, he used to put the
Redskins game on every station.  I don't know for sure, but I believe
he doesn't do that on ALL his stations anymore.

I believe he doesn't understand radio, but that doesn't matter.  He
has enough money to continuously screw up.

The Congress really screwed up when they lifted the caps on station
ownership in the same market.  This law change screwed up stations
like those owned by Dan Snyder, but REALLY screwed the public when a
market like DC has the majority of the stations owned by only two
groups, Clear Channel and CBS/Infinity.

It is no wonder radio sucks.

--chip