Mobile DTV on the cheap

wb4jfi wb4jfi at knology.net
Sat Jan 15 17:19:41 CST 2011

Remember Chip that the first (primary) DTV stream (which replaces the
old analog signal) IS FREE.  It's only any additional channels or
services that can use another revenue method.

Plus, at least in 2006 when I left, any additional revenue that stations
received from additional streams/services were subject to federal
government "fees", based on a percentage of that revenue.  I think those
fees were "off the top" of the income (not net profit), but I'm not as
sure about that.  So, if a station made money on an internet data stream
for example, using extras bits derived from the DTV spectrum and made
money, a portion of any additional income will effectively be "taxed"
and sent to the feds.  We used to have to track that additional
revenue.  They gets you comin', and they gets you goin'....

It costs stations much more to purchase, install and often run the new
DTV facility, with no additional revenue associated with those costs.
If a station went from a VHF to UHF channel, their MONTHLY electricity
bill alone more than quintupled (typically under 10k to over easily
50k).  Plus recurring tube costs, if now UHF.  Typical DTV conversion
costs were about $3.5 million, just for the first part, not including a
new tower, building, or other costs.  Many stations had to rebuy even
more equipment at the end of the transition to make the "hard switch"
overnight instead of a month or two.  And, viewership is declining at
the same time.  Not a great business model in the long run.

So much for making more money with DTV...
Terry

On 1/15/2011 3:49 PM, Robert Stratton wrote:Pay OTA services aren't all
that new, at least in the DC area.