What the hell is in the water over at the FCC?

wb4jfi wb4jfi at knology.net
Tue Feb 1 23:54:12 CST 2011

I'm sorry, do you think this mentality is new?????  It's just another
logical step.

Just look at the FCC's previous decisions (and lack of attention to
reality in our dimension) regarding white-space, etc.  The FCC has
bought the whole idea of intelligent radios, high-tech filtering, etc,
hook, line, and sinker.  Actual engineering data does not phase the
pursuit of spectrum re-use.  Don't confuse them with the facts, it's
their job to ignore the facts.

It was great when their engineering world view only tangentially touched
ours as far as white-space not interfering with TV broadcasters, I hear
Intel, Microsoft, et al cheering away!  (who cares, nobody watches
terrestrial TV anyway...)  It's yet another thing when those same
concepts are applied to something technology-oriented that we all like
and need, such as GPS?

If you let them get away with their fantasies in one area, those same
fantasies will come back to bite you in the, er, spectrum (nice play)
sooner or later.

The FCC has heard this BS from enough people that intelligent radios and
filtering can fix any problem, you can't expect them to think different
about this application.  Is GPS really any more sacred than other
services that have recently been forced to take additional interference
"on the chin"?    Besides, you can always use your Loran in those
areas...oops.

I can't wait for this "broadcaster" to offer me filters to refit all my
GPS receivers to provide "like-kind operation", as they should be
required to do.  No doubt that the required filtering will be larger
than the GPS units themselves.  And, since I fly using GPS, I expect my
GPS receivers to work including right on top of, and immediately
adjacent to, the new transmitters.  No doubt all GPS units in police
cars, ambulances, etc, will ALL require this new filtering as well.
Maybe the new "broadcaster" will be required to provide free GPS
upgrades/replacements, in which case we all get new GPS units! Yea!

Same story, different spectrum user.

Here at the FCC, we get the dough, you get the interference.  Relax,
it's not like WE caused the plane to crash.
Terry, WB4JFI