Fishing debris in space

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 4 14:24:52 CST 2011

I have trouble understanding how this thing will work....

If I were to go up and orbit to a spot full of debris, I would expect to
see a small washer, for example, come flying by at 5 km/sec.  That makes
catching a bullet look like child's play. How do you build a net of just
a few layers of some magic very thin material that can trap this small
washer without having it just tear a hole in it and going on its way?

Now, most space debris is larger and has more mass. How about a Ni Cad
cell?  This would appear to just create more space junk as this magic
net is torn into a bunch of pieces.  Our best hope is that the fragments
of the net would fall out of orbit but why would these fragments bring
along the space junk with them?

Perhaps they would have the net go up and co-orbit with a specific piece
of space junk.  This would seem to have spent way too much work getting
it into orbit for only a few pieces of space debris.

Frank K0BRA