Moving to IPV6

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sun Feb 6 21:11:25 CST 2011

IPv6 addresses are really only 64 bits long,
no matter what they tell you in the funny papers,
and even all 64 of those aren't up for grabs arbitrarily.

this statement is based on the fact that the ability
to distinguish individual "things" is limited by the
E164 address in the "bottom" 64-bit half of an IPv6 address.
the E164 address has structure and is not densely assigned.
there is also the question as to what "things" are designated
(hosts, interfaces, etc), but that's a topic for strong drink.

think of a distinguished value of the bottom 64-bit half denoting

"your car keys"

while the upper 64-bit (theoretically) provides
"a place to write down where you left them"

so given the IPv6 address, you could know they are your car keys,
and you should be able to find them.

those two concepts are quite different and critically important.

unfortunately, they aren't everything needed to make "addressing"
work as it really needs to in order to be scalable. if you believe
the bleating, IPv4 addresses have "hit the wall". IPv6 addressing
will also hit the wall much sooner than many would have you believe,
but we will be able to do so going many Mach numbers faster.

sigh

     -mo