Tacos Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Mon Feb 7 20:08:04 CST 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 2:33 PM, andre kesteloot wrote:

> On 2/6/2011 4:18 PM, PSCI wrote:
>>
>> I just nailed down the General Operator license, and will take the Extra exam next weekend.  My goal is to surf the net via HAM at the highest possible bandwidth.
>>
>> Todd Hathaway
>>
>>   :)

I've thought about upgrading to Extra for several years.  However....

I rarely get on the air anymore.  It seems most of my on-the-air time is during my annual pilgrimage to the Dayton Hamvention, or if I'm assisting with a scouting activity.

Secondly, I hold an Advanced Class license.  They don't issue those any longer, so it's more of a novelty than the now code-free Extra Class license.

I do, however, still like reading about and building QRP equipment - primarily CW, regen receivers, and simple superhet receivers.  Simple vacuum tube transmitters are also a lot of fun to build.  I've just lost most of my enthusiasm to operate.  Wasn't always that way, though.  When I was first licensed as a teen, I couldn't spend enough time on the air!  Perhaps that old magic will return one day.

73,
Joe, N6DGY