Altoid mint tins

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 12:32:42 CST 2011

As members of the crystal set community may recall, I have built many
circuits in what I regard as decorated full- or half-size tobacco
tins (purchased empty and previously unused). They are a useful size,
have a tight-fitting but removable lid, and are pressed steel with a
protective lacquer coating. The lacquer makes a reasonable flux, and
it is easy to solder wires to the case itself.

The main problem is that, here in the UK, the traditional decoration
is a well-applied sticker, almost impossible to remove, that commonly
depicts a humorous reference to a non-tobacco-related inhalable
product, with characteristic spiky leaves. For this reason, I tend
not to bring projects housed in these otherwise perfect cases through
US borders. To be honest, I'd probably get beaten up by our border
officials too. If only those guys could chill out and be more relaxed...

Phil M1GWZ