Best Buy 8" Insignia Infocast

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Tue Feb 15 01:37:29 CST 2011

I just purchased an Insignia Infocast from Best Buy, they are on sale
for $79.99.

This is an "Internet Media Display" that (funny thing) displays
pictures, streaming video, audio, etc from the Internet or from
plugged-in memory cards.

The neat thing is that it has an 8" 800x600 color touch-screen display,
an 800MHz processor, 2GB of storage RAM, digital media card readers,
Wifi, and two USB connections.  It apparently runs "Chumby", a version
of Linux 2.6.  Alas, unhacked it runs on AC power only, and the
electronics is in a large hump on the back, so it's no tablet.

There is info on the web to add a web browser (with external USB kybd),
and get a ssh.  I imagine more hacks are out there as well.

I originally got it for the TFT LCD display with touchscreen and power
supply, but it may be too cool/useful to rip apart.  At $80, a decent
buy, maybe even a "Best Buy".
Terry, WB4JFI