ALERT-PIRATE BROADCASTING WMAL-AM ON 161.700

Chip Fetrow chip at fetrow.org
Sat Feb 19 00:53:18 CST 2011

161.7 is a Part 74 licensed Broadcast Remote Pick-Up frequency.
Unlike 166.25, which is shared with public safety near NYC
(specifically fire) and the federal government, and 170.15, which can
be shared with newspaper news gathering, 161.7 is not shared.

Under 47 CFR 74.431(h), stations licensed to an RPU frequency (ALL
SHARED) may use it as an STL (Studio Transmitter Link) in an
emergency, but I don't believe "testing" it is legal at all.  OK, it
isn't legal.

Under Part 74, there is an odd rule.  If licensed under Part 73 (a
real broadcast station) you have 720 hours to operate a Part 74
service without a license.

--chip